What Does Junk Mail Have to Do With Red Pandas?
Red pandas have a very specific and slim habitat. They live in the snowy bamboo forests of Sichuan, Yunnan, and Xizang provinces in China, in the foothills of the Himalayas in Nepal and Bhutan, and in northern Myanmar. Deforestation, or destroying copious amounts of trees, has endangered the red pandas. Not only does deforestation cause loss of habitat but also it causes the snowy habitat to melt. Junk mail, when decomposing in landfills produces a greenhouse gas, methane which is 23 times more potent than Carbon Dioxide. HUGE amounts of junk mail is created and distributed every day, but almost 50% is sent straight to the landfills without being opened. If this unsustainable process continues, red pandas will have to habitat to raise their young.
Junk Mail Facts
- Junk mail creates 10 billion pounds of solid waste per year.
- It costs communities over $1 Billion annually to collect and dispose of junk mail.
- 62% of phone books and advertising mail is not recycled.
- In 5 days we produce enough junk mail to reach the moon.
- Approximately 44% of junk mail goes to landfills unopened.
- The average American will spend 8 months of their lives dealing with junk mail.
- More than 100 million trees worth of junk mail arrive in American mail boxes each year – that’s the equivalent of deforesting the entire Rocky Mountain National Park every four months.
- The production and disposal of junk mail consumes more energy than 3 million cars.
- Most junk mail producers are large phone companies and banks.
The Gorkha Earthquake, 2015
This 7.8 magnitude earthquake remains one of the most detrimental occurrences in South Asia. The Gorkha earthquake caused thousands of fatalities and even more in financial crisis. Not only people were severely effected by this natural disaster. Red pandas also are struggling to regain their ground because of the wreckage caused by the earthquake. Mass deforestation was caused by the earthquake, but many additional trees were cut down and sold to American paper producers (a majority of which that produce junk mail) because of the Nepalese citizens' need to support their families. Junk mail production negatively affects the lives of red pandas, but we can help! De-list on our website to save the red pandas in need.
banner source: sa-dui.deviantart.com